Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Custom Made Laptop - unReal, why?

I always need customized 'things' in my Life let it be food, bikes even I chose my MBA course which is customizable! The only thing that eats my head every time is, Why can't we have 'Complete' Custom Made Laptops? Don't tell me that you consider Dell Online Store, A place for customizable laptop. I hate Dell, because they do not allow you to customize everything in 'your' Laptop!
Consider a 'Subway Melt' sub prepared at Subway outlets, you can customize it right from bread, veggies, sauces anything and everything in the sub.Why can't we have it in Laptops?

My Idea about Laptop Customization -
It should start from Laptop's outer body - some people like Laptops to be slim like MacBook Air while some likes it Sturdy like Lenovo Thinkpad.
Another best part is keypad - i prefer a keypad with num keys/pad on right side just like the keyboards that we use for PCs.
Most importantly battery - I have a Gateway ID58 Laptop, it earlier had 6 Cell battery but now as I make heavy use of my Laptop I wanted to go for 9 Cell battery. I asked Acer's Vendor (after sales in India for Gateway) but he said my Laptop doesn't support it.
I have seen some of my female friends who rejected some nice Laptops just because they didn't like the color of the panel, too much huh? But I would say, yes they can demand for it and they should!

Why don't we have a Laptop Vendor who can help us in getting an assembled laptop just like we have it for PCs? I understand it's not easy for a Supply Chain to establish in order to procure different things for a single laptop which can vary a lot from one order to second. But if you see the idea has a lot of potential in it. People would definitely buy a 'Custom' made Laptop which may be or mostly will be 'Heavy on Pocket', but they will buy it, just because they get exactly what they want!

I agree it wouldn't be possible for a Vendor like Dell to allow people choose whatever they want and make their laptop ready for use. But entrepreneurs they can definitely think over it, as I really feel that this unnoticed area can really get you 'Real Money'! And the idea - first of it's kind :-)

Do Let me know your views and opinions about my idea! 


1 comment:

  1. Nice thought, definitely a marketable idea. They should be doing this, if users are ready to cough up the cash.

    ReplyDelete